Data Generation and KPI Dashboarding with SQURL
SQURL is a free, open-source developer tool that attempts to alleviate some of the headache associated with database design and application testing.
What exactly is SQURL?
SQURL is a free, open-source desktop application with robust dummy data generation capabilities and a dynamic database KPI dashboard. It was created for developers as a tool to help with the design, implementation, and testing of databases together with their associated applications.
When developing an application that will be utilizing a database, dummy data generation can be a real lifesaver. Not only can the process of data generation be extremely time consuming, but often times, the data itself isn’t actually relevant to the database one is creating. Having relevant semantic dummy data not only makes things easier to understand but can also help you find those sneaky bugs that only appear after heavy database and/or app use.
Currently, database management tools — specifically dummy data generation tools — fall into two very different categories:
- Entry Level — Provide users with basic functionality free of charge but are limited in their scope and ability to generate large amounts of data.
- Enterprise Level — Provide users with a plethora of powerful tools, but typically have high upfront and monthly costs, and are overly complex.
SQURL seeks to fit firmly in the middle of these two categories as a useful tool for the average software engineer, capable of generating the data you need with the metrics you want.
- Generate meaningful dummy data for your database or application from a wide variety of categories, applicable to many different sectors
- Download ready-to-import SQL files that can be easily imported into your database of choice
- Create up to 50MM+ rows of data at once, giving you the ability to run database testing and metrics dependent on scale
- Monitor the health of your database with the straightforward KPI dashboard
- Easy to use desktop GUI, available across all major OS
How can SQURL help?
Maybe you have an existing database, but it is lacking enough data to run meaningful query analytics. Or maybe you are getting ready to design your database for the first time and want to seed it to get a better feel for the organization of data and how your app functions. From query design to storage logistics, the list of technical challenges and questions one faces when designing, testing, and optimizing databases and/or apps is never-ending.
This is where SQURL comes in — it performs a basic, yet mandatory task in the database design and application testing process — generation of dummy data. SQURL gives you the flexibility to generate up to 50 million rows of meaningful data at a time, spread throughout as few or as many tables as you need. It also provides you with the ability to connect to your database and see a visual dashboard of KPIs pertinent to the health of your database. Future updates will include even more database KPIs, more database connectivity, and of course more dummy data generation, so stay tuned!
For more information about SQURL, check us out on our website, www.squrldb.io or on our official GitHub page, https://github.com/oslabs-beta/Squrl. If you have any questions about the application or if you just want to say hi, feel free to reach out us at firstname.lastname@example.org.